ren gnss, ip see erty

eer

° f Vere ag Oe EORTC '

THE

WILTSHIRE | Arebwolagical ont Batural Wistory

MAGAZINE,

Published unver the Birectian of the Saciety FORMED IN THAT COUNTY, A.D. 1853.

VOL. XXVII.

DEVIZES : Hurry & Pearson, 4, St. Jonn Street.

Junr, 1894.

Tur Eprror of the Wiltshire Magazine desires that it should be distinctly understood that neither he nor the Committee of the Wiltshire Archeological and Natural History Society hold themselves in any way answerable for any statements or opinions expressed in the Magazine; for all of which the Authors of the several papers and communications are alone responsible.

CONTENTS OF VOL. XXVII.

No. LXXIX. Junz, 1893.

Account of the Thirty-ninth General Meeting, at Cirencester: ........se+ees Notes on the Churches visited in 1892: By C. E. Powtine, F.S.A... Broughton Gifford—Copy of Deed, belonging tothe Rev. S.'S. Keddle, relating to the Tithes of Monkton Farm, in the Parish of Broughton Gifford: Communicated by the Rev. E. W. Watson; translated by Rev. ALAN BRODRICK ...sccssseecsecsoeees cae cessensacecevereassssensesscencs Notes on pre-Norman Sculptured iBtoniba i in Wilts : By the Rev. E. H. GODDARD ........008. reacts icdaceaearetasens «nessa

Notes on the Olaainstetiod of “ihe ‘Barly ‘Christian Monuments of Wilt-

shire: By J. Rominny ALLEN, F.S.A., Scot. ......cssccssecceseeeceeseeees Notes on Sections of Stonehenge Rocks belonging to Mr. W. Cunnington : By J. J. H. Teann, M.A., F.R.S., Sec. G.S..ccsccsccccssescssssceseseeees Ace Richard Jefferies: By GEORGE EL. DARTNRLL ......cscsccseeseecreeeeeeeees

In Memoriam William Collings Lukis, M.A., F.S. je aaah

Corrections ..........0000 sich haa dab aiah We 0 o gh bad CadeMiheewacdausonss PRiaae. dbwi aries Natural History Notes Bermpliseatloponl IN GtOS It 2c. ais ss cuce knee seco cece dean steab eae denbodbouuastgere scsees Donations to Museum and Library ........ sessesseesesseseneeeeeeereecnecees =

SORE R Ome eee eee FOR HTH REL TEETH HEE E EHEC OSEHETEHES EHH ET EES E EE SES

No. LXXX. Decemser, 1893.

The Battle of Ethandune: By Watter Money, F'\S.A. ........ The Wilts County Court—Devizes versus Wilton: By JamMEs WAYLEN The Church of All it the Leigh, near Cricklade : By C. E. PontrIne, PREPAC AS /oh asiasie bdclapieaeln wy abouts eevids aise ss<iiple d= Onl. Gneelebe a's ec na siasnlalatten @Blddaisaiam os Contributions towards a 2 Wiltshire Glossary : By G. E. Darrneti and The Rev. E. H. GODDARD ..,.ce.eccccsecseecceccaseeneccnsseeeeeeesseeuenseeees Unpublished Documents relating to the Arrest of Sir William Sharington, January, 1549; By the Rev. W. GILcHRIST CLARK .......sseeeceeseeees Notes on an undescribed Stone Circle at Coate, near Swindon: By A. D. PASSMORE ......sccssecsseecserseecensecsneceensseeeesseeaaaeaan:seneneeeceeesee ees Notes on Archeeology .......cscccsssccscsesscceesecseecseaenecensescscseescessesees Notes on Natural History ...........:ccscscsecsesceeseceeseeeneaeensecsencesees Peaeibons to the Museum and Library—June Ist to November Ist, 1893

109 113

121

124 159 171 174

183 185

iv CONTENTS OF VOL. XXVII.

No. LXXXI., Juns, 1894.

Account of the Fortieth General Meeting, at Warminster .....:sesseererees 193 aa

Excavation of the South Lodge Camp, Rushmore Park, an Entrenchment ofthe Bronze Age: By Lt.-General Prrt-Rivexs, D.C.L., F.RS.,F.S.A. 206 A Plea for the Further Investigation of the Architectural History of

Longleat: By C. H. TALBOT ........006 olnessuebncuCedaccedeceseneNadmedemmias 223 Notes on a Sun-Dial from the Monastery of Ivy Church, near Salisbury :

By the late Rev. RoBERT D1xON, LL.D. .....eecsesseeseeeees Jtagecadavesen 236 Notes on Encaustic Tiles at Heytesbury House: By Hanotp BraksPEaR,

A.R.L. B.A. ..csccsccccsscescsscevessseveseecenrpeccnssassousensussencensssseanesees 241 Notes on Churches in the Neighbourhood of Warminster: By C. E.

PONTING, F.S.A....cccsccsecsoeseeresseeseconscecsosenee Sasssned suaodeapudaciessdill 245 Notes on the Opening of a Tumulus on Cold Kitchen Hill, 1893 : By the

Rev. E. H. GODDARD .......csse0ceeseeee weesbragadacecns ¢dctaanan shal diecereetae 279

Notes on Food- Vessels from Oldbury Hill: By W. Cunnineron, F.GS. 291 Notes on the Discovery of Romano-British Kilns and Pottery at Brooms-

grove, Milton, Pewsey: By B. H. Cunninaton, F.S.A. Scot. ......... 294

In Memoriam James Waylen, with Bibliographical Notes of his Writings 301

Notes, Archeological and Historical ...... cssssccccscsseeseeecsseeeeesenceeees 308

Wiltshire Books, Pamphlets, and Articles ......secsseseseeereceeeceeeeenecene 316

Additions to Museum and Library............secc00+8 ; wan dos bu cobneeiedls aaa 324 Ellustrations.

Elevation of Saxon Doorway, Somerford Keynes, 28. Ashton Keynes, Chancel Arch (drawn before its enlargement), 30. Fonts at Oaksey, Somerford Keynes,

Ashton Keynes, and Siddington, 32. Part of Cross (?), Wantage, 47. Photo- print of Sepulchral Slab, G., Cricklade ; Sepulchral Stone, H., Cricklade ; and part of Cross C, Ramsbury, 52. Diagrams of knots, Figs. 1 and 2,52. Ditto,

Figs. 3 and 4, 53. Ditto, Fig. 5,54. Ditto, Fig. 6,55. Ditto, Figs. 7 and 8, 56. Ditto, Figs. 9 and 10,57. Ditto, Figs. 11 and 12,58. Ditto, Figs. 13, 14, and 15, 59. Ditto, Figs. 16, 17, and 18, 60. Ditto, Fig. 19, 61.

Photo-print of Four Sides of Cross B, Ramsbury, 54. Two sides of Base of Cross A, Ramsbury; and Stone in Knook Church, 57. Sculptured Slab, Bradford-on-Avon, 61. Panel on Pier of Arch, Britford, and Cross Base A,

Ramsbury, 64. Photo-print of Stones: Colerne I, Ramsbury, Base of Cross A,

and Colerne J, 64. Photo-print of Sepulchral Slabs, D, E, and F, Ramsbury,

65. Saxon North Doorway, Somerford Keynes, and Sculpture of Scandinavian type, Somerford Keynes, 65. Sculpture on Pier of Arch, Britford, 65.

All Saints Church, The Leigh—North Elevation, 121. Ditto—South Elevation, 121. Ditto—West and Hast Elevations, 122. Ditto—Detail of Roof, Section through Tower looking West, and Piscina, 123. Sketch-plan of Circle of Stones at Day House Farm, 171. Plan of Three Stones near Day House Farm; 172.

Drawing Room of Stockton House, 204. Central Panel of Chimney Piece in Bedroom at Stockton House, 204. Plan of South Lodge Camp, Rushmore Park, 206. Average Section of Rampart and Ditch, South Lodge Camp, Rushmore Park, 207. Bronze, Bone, and Earthenware Objects, found in th e South Lodge Camp, Rushmore Park, 208. Grain-rubbers found in South Lodge Camp, Rushmore Park, 218. Stone Tables at Lacock Abbey, 226. Ancient Sun-Dial from the Priory of Ivy Church, 236. Encaustic Tiles from Heytesbury House—Plate I., 241. Ditto—Plate II., 248. Hill Deverill— Old Building and Tomb, 271. Bronze Celt from Kingston Deverill, 284. Articles found on Cold Kitchen Hill, 1893, 285. Ditto ditto, 286. Two Food-vessels from Oldbury Hill and two Urns found at Broomsgrove Farm, near Milton, Pewsey, 294. Font in Hilperton Church, 308.

ee a

‘Ora edi ge | LA ie SAAN heard |

VOL. XXVII.

THE

WILTSHIRE | Alteheulogieal amd Patural Bistocy

MAGAZINE,

Published unver the Birection

OF THE SOCIETY FORMED IN THAT COUNTY,

A.D. 1853.

EDITED BY REY. E. H. GODDARD, Clyffe Vicarage, Wootton Bassett.

DEVIZES :

PRINTED AND SOLD FOR THE Socrery BY HugRy & PEARSON, St, Joon STReEeEr.

Price 5s. 6d.—Members Gratis.

“ow

aah a Bi BE a an bia SNR yy ale Melee saa a

‘TAKE NOTICE, that a copious Index for the preceding eight

NOTICE TO MEMBERS.

# ?

Volumes of the Magazine will be found at the end of Vols. vill., xvi., and xxiv.

Members who have not paid their Subscriptions to the Society for the current year, are requested to remit the same forthwith to the Financial Secretary, Mr. Davin Owen, 31, Long Street, Devizes, to whom also all communications as to the supply of Magazines should be addressed.

The Numbers of this Magazine will be delivered grat7s, as issued, to Members who are not in arrear of their Annual Subscrip- tions, but in accordance with Byelaw No. 8 The Financial Secretary shall give notice to Members in arrear, and the Society’s publications will not be forwarded to Members whose subscriptions shall remain unpaid after such notice.”

Back Numbers of the Magazine, price 5s. 6d. (except in the case of

a few Numbers, the price of which is raised), may be obtained on application to Mr. D. Owen, 31, Long Street, Devizes.

A certain number of Wiltshire Prints, Engravings, &c. (duplicates from the Society’s Library), for sale or exchange. For par- ticulars apply to the Librarian, W. H. Bett, Esq., Seend, Melksham.

All other communications to be addressed to the Honorary Seere- taries: H. E. Mepticorrt, Esq., Sandfield, Potterne, Devizes; and the Rev. E. H. Gopparp, Clyffe Vicarage, Wootton Bassett.

A resolution has been passed by the Committee of the Society, “that it is highly desirable that every encouragement should be given towards obtaining second copies of Wiltshire Parish Registers.”

INDEX OF ARCHZOLOGICAL PAPERS.

The alphabetical Index of Papers published in 1891 by the various Archeological and Antiquarian Societies throughout England, published under the direction of the Congress of Archeological Societies, may be obtained by application at the Museum, Devizes, price 6d.

CATALOGUE OF WILTSHIRE TRADE TOKENS IN THE SOCIETY’S COLLECTION.

This newly-compiled Catalogue may be obtained by application to

the Caretaker, Museum, Devizes, price 4d.

QUERIES AND REQUESTS.

KINGSBRIDGE.

Mrs. Story MaskeELyne, Basset Down House, Swindon, would be much obliged for any information as to the actual position of Kingsbridge,” from which the Hundred of Kingsbridge,” in the north of the county, takes its name. It would seem that it must be within the bounds of the parishes of Hilmarton, Lyneham, Clyffe Pypard, and Highway, or thereabouts, as the limits of the Hundred, as given in Domesday, do not appear to have extended further than this at first.

WILTSHIRE Archoolagiral ant Patural BWistory MAGAZINE.

° No. LXXIX. JUNE, 1893. Vor. XXVILI. Contents. PAGE Account oF THE THIRTY-NINTH GENERAL MEETING, aT CIRENCESTER 1 Nores ox THE CHURCHES VISITED 1n 1892: By C. E. Ponting, F.S.A. 15

BrovcutTon Girrorp—Cory oF DEED, BELONGING TO THE Rev. S. S. KEDDLE, RELATING TO THE TITHES OF Monxton Farm, IN THE Parish of BroucuTon Girrorp: Communicated by the Rev. E.

W. Watson; translated by the Rev. Alan Brodrick..........--.sesseec-+++ Al Nores on prE-Norman ScuLPruRED Stones 1n Witts: By the Rev.

B. FH. Goddard .........cesseesensossccececsavenvsceeeenes Segecvedecassvecsieaewersss 43 Nores oN THE ORNAMENTATION OF THE Harty Cristian Monv-

MENTS OF WILTSHIRE: By J. Romilly Allen, F.S.A. Scot. ............ 50

Norss on Sections oF STONEHENGE Rocxs BELONGING To Mr. W. Cunnineton: By J. J. H. Teall, M.A., F.R.S., Seo. GS... seeees 66

Ricuarp JerFeriss: By George E. Dartnell ........1....s.seeseeeeeneeees 69 In Memorram, Witiiam Coxtines Loxis, M.A., OSA 2a can cepeona es 99 CORRECTIONS ..ccecces ccseccecececsceencasevscnceaesseces Radice aseeo ce cus ae tonesaes 102 Narvrzat History Notes Peen ds hackectaspansescdesiecaret 102 ' ARCHROLOGICAL NOTES.........secesesessescensececscescccueeseceesseceeecescesees 103 ~~ Donations TO MUSEUM AND LIBRARY .....0.--ssssessssseseessereeseereseess 105 Report oN THE TRANSCRIPTION AND PuBLIcaTION oF PaRISH REGISTERS, S0C........00ccceceeeecerneeseetesseeesenseceueesuecgenteneeceaneeaereues —_ ILLUSTRATIONS. Elevation of Saxon Doorway, Somerford Keynes......... 28 - Ashton Keynes, Chancel Arch (drawn before its enlarge- By: TROTTED ee oe ated sion Saeko cee tte enedaa as taeaawsasncetins 30 j Fonts at Oaksey, Somerford Keynes, Ashton Keynes, and Siddington..........sssccsesceesecsseceees Naccrosenaccanet 32 Part of Cross (P) Wantage ......seesecseeseeseneeeseeseneeeers 47 Photo-print of Sepulchral Slab, G., Cricklade ; Sepulchral 4 Stone, H., Cricklade; and part of Cross C., Ramsbury 52 . Diagrams of knots, Figs. 1 and 2 ......ssccecsesessessene os 52 Ditto Figs. 3 and 4 ...sccseccsseceeeeereeees 53 Ditto WGA. Gevccyetedauenceeksdpetanssceerwese 54 Ditto Wig, 6 .....ssccsevccccccescecrsascesseseos 55 Ditto Figs. 7 and 8 ...sescesssseecseeseerevens 56 Ditto Figs. 9 and 10........ssessesceereeseanes 57 Ditto Figs. 11 and 12 ........s0000 58 Ditto Figs. 13, 14, and 15 59 Ditto Figs. 16,17, and 18 .....sseereseeenes 60 Ditto BGO sc. cascacncceccoenvecests sae dere 61 Photo-print of Four Sides of Cross B, Ramsbury......... 54 Two sides of Base of Cross A, Ramsbury; and Stone in Knook Church ........scceeeseceers Hin Ree ORR P PRED © PEL | Sculptured Slab, Bradford-on-Avon .....++sssseesseneees on Ge Panel on Pier of Arch, Britford, and Cross Base A, Ramsbury ...... SSSR eee Boece sass ies Saas cactounencenana 64 Photo-print of Stones: Colerne I, Ramsbury, Base of Cross A, and Colerne J. ...... We iat Gaah opaeoeeanee Bo east eels OM Photo-print of Sepulchral Slabs, D., E.,andF.,Ramsbury 65 Saxon North Doorway, Somerford Keynes, and Sculpture of Scandinavian type, Somerford Keynes .....s00000 65 Sculpture on Pier of Arch, Britford ....csesssssssereeseeees 65

DEVIZES :—Hurry & Pzarson, 4, St. JonN Sreext.

WILTSHIRE MAGAZINE.

“MULTORUM MANIBUS GRANDE LEVATUR ONUS.’—Ovid.

THE THIRTY-NINTH GENERAL MEETING

OF THE Wiltshire Archeological and Natural Mistory Society, HELD AT CIRENCESTER, August 23rd, 24th, and 25th, 1893. W. Cripps, Esq., C.B., F,S.A.,

PRESIDENT OF THE MEETING.

iC ig HE Annual Meeting of 1892 was held in conjunction with OS:

the Summer Meeting of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archxological Society at Cirencester, where the Society had never met before, though a day was spent there during the Swindon Meeting in 1873 (vol. xiv., p. 142), somewhat later in the year than usual, owing to the original arrangements for July having been upset by the occurrence of the General Election. _ The General Meeting of the Society was appointed for 11.30 on the 23rd, at the King’s Head Hotel, but owing to the difficulty of getting to Cirencester so early in the day, very few Members of the Society were present, and the Report was taken as read by THE SECRETARY, the officers being formally re-elected for the ensuing year.

THE REPORT. ~ ©Your Committee reports that it has met four times since the General Annual Meeting at Wilton last year. At these meetings thirty-four new Members have been elected,

*,* Nore.—In compiling this report the Editor desires to acknowledge hig indebtedness to the columns of the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard, _ VOL. XXVII.—NO. LXXIX. B

2 The Thirty-Ninth General Meeting.

raising the total number of Members at the beginning of July last from three hundred and seventy-eight to three hundred and ninety- eight, in spite of losses by deaths and resignations.

“We have to record amongst the former the loss of Mr. Nightingale and Mr. Swayne, both original Members, both regular in attendance at our Annual Meetings, and both valued contributors to local history. Obituary notices of each will be found in No. 77 of the Magazine. We have also to deplore the loss of Mr. R. S. Holford, a life Member; of Miss Chafyn Grove, who added lustre to the old Wiltshire name she bore by many good and generous deeds ; of Mrs. Fisher, widow of Canon Fisher, an original Member > of Mrs. Powell; and others, making ten in all; whilst we are glad to find only two have felt called upon to resign their membership.

“We hope during the ensuing year to raise our numbers to some- thing over four hundred, and to be able to maintain that number at least in future years.

“We are glad to announce that we have enlisted the services of Mr. Henry Wilkins, of Calne, Mr. C. W. Holgate, of the Palace,’ Salisbury, and Mr. Joshua W. Brooke, of Marlborough, as Honorary Local Secretaries. Mr. Wilkins takes the place of Mr. Plenderleath, whose removal from the county causes the loss of an active and useful Member. Mr. Holgate takes the place of Mr. Swayne, and gives promise of much assistance to us in the south of the county, where we need help. The extraordinary collection of antiquities, more especially of flints and Roman coins, made by Mr. Brooke in the neighbourhood of Marlborough within a very short period of time makes it matter for congratulation that he has consented to take an active share in the working of our Society.

We call attention with great regret to its being the third and last year of office of our President, General Pitt-Rivers; unless his health will permit, and he can be persuaded to confer upon us the great favour of consenting to hold office for another year.

“Numbers 76 and 77 of the Magazine have been issued during the past year, both containing much interesting information. For the increased number of illustrations—adding much to the interest of the articles—we have to thank the writers who in many cases

The Report. 3

have borne the cost of them. The Wiltshire Glossary’ is a distinct addition to our store of local information. It will be seen from the lists of Additions to the Museum and Library’ at the end of these two numbers that our grounds for an appeal for ad- ditional space become every year more urgent. We are almost compelled now to decline the offer of anything which is not directly connected with the county. Amongst the additions to the Library we call especial attention to Mr. Nightingale’s very complete work on The Church Plate of the County of Wilts’; to the large volume of Original Drawings of the Church Plate of North Wilts’; and to the third vol. of General Pitt-Rivers’ most elaborate work deseribing his Lxeavations of Wiltshire Earthworks.

“The Librarian of the British Museum recently made a public appeal for copies of election literature, pamphlets, addresses, portraits, &c. We did the same, and have received some replies.

As to finance, the account of receipts and disbursements for the year 1891 is printed at the end of the last number of the Magazine.

It may be observed that during the year only two hundred and

sixty-two Members paid their subscriptions for the year as against two hundred and eighty who did so in 1890. This goes far to account for the fact that the total amount received for subscriptions in 1891 is about £26 less than in 1890. We would again strongly urge upon Members the desirability of punctual payment of their subscriptions as they fall due on the Ist of January in each year. The amount received for payment on admission to the Museum does not appear to show an increase of attendance in proportion to the

increase in the value and interest of our collections. Two numbers

only of the Magazine having been printed and paid for within the year the cost of this item is less than in 1890, when three numbers

were paid for. Considerable expense had to be incurred at the

Museum in connection with the public sewers, through which rats had worked up under our floors. The balance carried forward to this year’s account is nearly £30 less than last year, pig owing to the large amount of unpaid subscriptions.

“Canon Jackson’s Wiltshire Collections were referred to in our

_ report last year, and some discussion arose at the Meeting with

B 2

4 The Thirty-Ninth General Meeting.

respect to them. It is very desirable that we should, as a Society, keep in mind that these collections—the work of a lifetime and the value of which it is difficult to estimate—are deposited with the Society of Antiquaries at Burlington House. It is hoped that they may soon be catalogued, and that we may be furnished with a copy.

“A much needed catalogue of our books, prints, documents, and papers is being prepared by our Librarian, Mr. Bell; and we are indebted to another diligent Member, Mr. Willis, for undertaking to catalogue the tokens, which have been considerably added to of late.

“The amount subscribed towards the cost of enlarging the Society’s Museum as a memorial to the late Canon Jackson is not sufficient to enable the Committee to carry out Mr. Ponting’s design. The amount promised is £259 138s., of which £12] 16s. has been paid into the bank.

“The Committee has under consideration a modified scheme which it is hoped to carry out. Suggestions have been made of economical or temporary structures, but the Committee, however much the mere acquisition of space may be an object, does not intend to lose sight of that dignity which should be a characteristic of a memorial of Canon Jackson. Subscribers have been requested in the Magazine to pay their promised subscriptions to the Secretaries, and it is hoped they will do so.

Before concluding this report the Committee considers that it is not travelling beyond its province if attention is called to some notable works of preservation of ancient buildinys within the county which have been recently accomplished. The completion of the important work of restoration—or rather of repair on most con- servative lines—at Edington Church; and the work now going on at Ramsbury Church, where the fine old roof of the nave has been happily saved, are matters for congratulation. The finding of the Saxon stones at Ramsbury, the careful restoration of the unique octagonal sacristy at Enford, the work done at the Churches of Froxfield, Upton Lovel, and Tytherington, and at the Old Manor House at South Wraxall are all matters of interest to the archzolo- gists of the county. It is, moreover, a pleasure to the Committee

The Opening Meeting. 5

to record that most of these works have been carried out under the superintendence of Mr. Ponting, a native of the county, and a Member of the Society, to whose assistance in making the Annual Excursions of real interest, and in many other ways, they are greatly indebted.

“In looking forward to the future we feel that a vast deal yet remains to be done before the subjects dealt with by the Society can be said to be exhausted.

“New lights are constantly being cast on old material, whilst the shadows of doubt sometimes thrown on old sources of information need constant investigation.

“One by one our founders and supporters are removed from our midst, but it is hoped new hands and new minds may be found to take up the work so carefully and fondly dealt with in the past.

“We feel certain that we may look forward to an increase of prosperity for our Society, to an increase of its Members, of its means, and of its value and importance in the eyes of all intelligent and patriotic Wiltshiremen.”

The Gloucestershire Society having in the meantime concluded their business meeting, the Members of the Wiltshire Society joined them in the Town Hall at 12 o’clock, where Mr. Wi.rreD Cripps, C.B.,as Chairman of the Local Committee, gave the Members _ of both Societies a very hearty welcome to Cirencester.

Sir Joun Dorrineton, Bart., then expressed the very great regret of the Gloucestershire Society that General Pitt-Rivers, F.R.S., F.S.A., the President of the Wiltshire Society, was pre- vented by the state of his health from presiding over both the Societies at the Meeting, and proposed that in his absence Mr. Wilfred Cripps, C.B., the well-known author of Old English Plate,” should be invited to act as President of the Meeting, a proposal which Mr. Mepticort, on behalf of our own Society, cordially seconded.

Mr. Crires then took the chair, and after referring in a few words to the great work accomplished by General Pitt-Rivers in many ways for the advancement of archxology, proceeded to give an interesting address on the early history of Cirencester, stating

6 The Thirty-Ninth General Meeting.

that its occupation by the Romans could be traced by means of coins from the time of Claudius to that of Honorius, and that it seemed to have continued an important station down to the end of the Roman occupation, after which, but how soon after it was difficult to say, it was overthrown and destroyed by the invading Saxons. At the conclusion of the Meeting Cot. Forgas, on behalf of one hundred and twenty-eight Members of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Society, presented a gilver bow] and a purse of £80 to the Rev. W. Bazeley, as some acknowledgment of his services to the Society in acting as General Secretary for the last thirteen years. Mr. BazeLey having replied, the Meeting terminated, and the Members proceeded to the Corinium Museum, where the Curator, Mr. C. Bow y, pointed out the chief objects of interest—almost all of them Roman remains found in Cirencester itself. One of the two fine mosaics in the floor is specially interesting from the fact that ruby glass tesserae are found in the figure of Flora, for such glass tesserze are rare in mosaics in England, and these upon being analysed proved to owe their colour to copper, and not to gold, which until lately has been used in modern times for the production of ruby glass. Mr. Bow1y also drew attention to the well-known acrostic inscribed on a tile :—

ROTAS

OPERA

TENET

AREPO SATOR

which nobody has been able to satisfactorily translate, but which seems to have been a kind of charm used in many -countries and in different ages.

After lunch the splendid Parish Church was visited, under the able guidance of the Rev. E. A. Futur (for Mr. Fuller’s description see vol. xiv., p. 136 of this Magazine), who gave a full account of its history and architecture—as also of the very remarkable parvise over the south porch, which is now known as the Town Hall, and which forms such a conspicuous object from the street. This, he said, had been considerably altered in 1828. The blue velvet cope of 1470 and the very interesting silver-gilt communion plate were

rT eh

Places Visited in Cirencester. 7

inspected with much interest. The latter comprises two of the very earliest examples of the Post-Reformation flagons, of the “round bellied” shape which preceded the later’ tankard—these particular specimens being hall-marked 1576 ; two chalices with paten covers, of 1570, which have a gadrooned flange on the stem close under the bowl and in other respects seem to follow the earlier shape in vogue during the reign of Edward VI. But the most interesting piece of all is the beautiful silver-gilt cup, made in 1535, which in all probability once belonged to Queen Anne Boleyn—as it bears her badge on the cover. (The flagons, the chalices, and this secular cup will be found well illustrated in Cripps’ Old English Plate, pp. 170, 177, and 181, third ed.) From the Church the party proceeded to the gardens of the Abbey, the history of which Mr. Fuller had already given them. The house itself is a perfectly plain building, with no mark of antiquity about it—but there is a very remarkable Roman capital of large size and richly carved acanthus foliage and human figures preserved on the lawn.

St. John’s Hospital was next visited, of which a double arcade of

three Early English arches still roofed over remains—and the so-

ealled Saxon Arch,” really the gateway of the Abbey. (See Wilts Mag., vol. xiv., p. 145.) The party then walked a considerable | distance along the line of the earthwork which now forms the sole remains of the ancient wall of the Roman city. This earthwork was originally faced on the outside with masonry—but all trace of

this above ground has disappeared. At one point, now occupied by

a mill, the dougle ditch outside the wall is still well seen. At this point the weather, which had been somewhat threatening all the afternoon, grew worse and rain began to fall, and the Members hastened back to tea, which was hospitably provided for them by Mr. and Mrs. Cripps (Countess Bismarck).

After tea, the Roman pavement at the Barton, still carefully preserved iz situ and roofed over, was inspected, and to those who had not seen it before this was certainly one of the chief treats of the Meeting, for probably there are few, if any, finer mosaic pave-

ments in England—Orpheus in the centre plays his lyre surrounded

8 The Thirty-Ninth General Meeting.

by an inner circle of birds and an outer circle of beasts, amongst which a lion, a leopard, and a tiger still remain fairly perfeet—their attitudes, expressions, and colouring being rendered in a singularly spirited way—evidently by an artist who knew the beasts themselves in life (see Buckman and Newmarch’s “‘ Remains of Roman Art in Cirencester.’’)

Mr. Cripps also exhibited at his own house a large collection of Roman objects, coins, fibule, armillz, bronze and bone pins, bodkins, spatule, glass, and pottery, including many fine Samian examples of bowls, &c., which had recently been found during building operations on his property—together with choice examples of English silver plate, and many other objects of interest,

The next proceeding was the Dinner at the King’s Head Hotel, during which a thunderstorm raged outside. The speeches were cut short—the only toast besides that of the Queen being introduced by the Chairman very happily by the following story. In ancient days there was a long-standing feud between the Worshipful Company of Skinners and the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors, of London, and the quarrel became so serious that the Lord Mayor was called in to mediate. He decided that the dispute should be settled by each company entertaining the other in alternate years. The Chairman said he was dining with the Merchant Taylors on one of these interesting occasions, and the toast of the evening was proposed in this form: ‘‘ Merchant Taylors and Skinners, Skinners and Merchant Taylors, root and branch, long may they flourish together.” In the same form he would propose the toast: ‘The Wiltshire Archeological and Natural History Society, the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archeological Society; the Bristol and Glou- cestershire Archeological Society, the Wiltshire Archeological and Natural History Society, root and branch, long may they flourish together ! ”?

The Conversazione was held in the Town Hall, the first paper being read by Mrs. BagnaLt OaxkeE.y, on three panels in Dagling- worth Church with Saxon sculptured figures, apparently originally ~ portions of a reredos. Mrs. Bagnall Oakeley called attention to the difference of treatment of the same subjects by the Saxon, the Irish,

Conversazione at the Town Hall. 9

and the Norman artists—exhibiting many drawings lately made in Ireland, and mentioning amongst other points in Saxon work that both in sculptures and in illuminations St. Peter was represented as a young man and beardless, contrary to the usual custom in post- Saxon art. She contended that in the sculptures in the south porch of Malmesbury Abbey St. Peter was so represented and that this pointed to those sculptures being of considerably earlier date than is commonly assigned to them—a conclusion with which, however, all her audience were not inclined to agree.

THE PRESIDENT next read a paper on Recent Roman Finds in Cirencester, chiefly in a part of the town now known as Ashcroft— lately built over, probably for the first time since the Roman occupation. Here the line of a Roman road running north and south had been laid bare, with portions of tessellated pavements and here and there the foundations of buildings, but the whole ground appeared to have been dug over before in order to get out the wrought stones of the Roman buildings—a fact which accounted for the pavements everywhere being found alone without the walls which originally surrounded them, for the tessere, being of no use to the searchers for building stone, were left undisturbed. The various objects already exhibited in the afternoon were then described, and the most curious find of all—an article in jet, apparently consisting of a group of a nude torso and part of a clothed figure with a pointed hood hanging on its shoulders, but without either heads or limbs— was commented on and handed round. It had puzzled even Mr. Franks and other authorities of the British Museum ; and nobody present would hazard a conjecture as to what it was.

Mr. CuristopHer Bow1y then gave an account of what he described as probably the most important find, in the way of Roman inscriptions, made in the South of England for some years—a four- sided base, 17in. square, of a memorial column: which was lately discovered in a garden in Victoria Road. The inscription is as follows on three sides of the stone, the fourth side being blank. The letters in black type now exist, those in italics are supposed to have been erased or broken off, or are the filling up of contractions. The principal face of the stone contains a dedication to Jupiter.

10 The Twenty-Ninth General Meeting.

The second and third faces are in hexameters :-—

HL esto) SEPTIMIVS NVMET L - SEPT RENOVAT ECTAM VPPR PRIMAE RISCARE

REST PROVINCIAE GIONECO CIVST RECTOR VMNAM

lovi Optimo Mazimo

L SEPTimivs [cognomen}

Vir Perfectissimvs PRaeses [prov Brit] RES Titvit

Cvrante |\VSTino

sgNVM ET erECTAM

PRISCA REGIONE

CO/VMNAM

SEPTIMIVS RENOVAT PRIMAE PROVINCIAE RECTOR

Statue and column raised by old religion, Septimius, Governor of the first Province, renews.” Dr. Hubner says the lettering on the stone is that of the end of the third century, and this will very well agree with the other facts. It was in the reign of Diocletian (284 to 305) that Britain was divided into Britannia Prima, Secunda, &., which divisions were, with a few modifications, retained till the end of the fourth century. This stone is the only epigraphic testimony to the fact known to exist; it also goes far to show that Cirencester was in Britannia Prima. Mr. Haverfield says that the mere finding of a definitely fourth century inscription, not being a milestone, is a notable fact in Romano-British epigraphy.

The Evening Meeting concluded with the reading of a paper by the Rev. E. A. Furzmr, on An Illegal Merchant Guild granted to Cirencester by Henry IV.,” in which he said that Cirencester never had a Mayor or Corporation, it was still subject to-day, as it had been all through history, to the control of the officers of the lord of the manor.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24ru.

The Members of both Societies left Cirencester soon after 9 o’clock and drove direct to Fairford Church. Here, in the unavoidable absence abroad of the Vicar, the Rev. F. R. Carbonell, they were received by the Rav. W. H. Wixmor, who conducted them round the Church, each window being carefully examined and its particular points of interest explained, after a paper by the Vicar on the

=

ee <=

Excursion on Wednesday, August 24th. 11

history and the general scheme of illustration in the windows had been read—the conclusion to which he came after noticing the traditions (1) of the glass having been captured at sea by John Tame, and (2) of its being the work of Albert Durer—being that it was made for the Church, in England, with perhaps the aid of Flemish and German artists.

This grand series of twenty-eight windows was undoubtedly the chief attraction of the Meeting to very many of the Members, and a considerable time was devoted to the inspection of them. They are now to be seen to much greater advantage than formerly, inas- much as they have recently undergone a most careful process of re-leading and repair—many portions which had been misplaced having been restored to their proper positions, and in cases where portions are altogether lost the space has been filled in with plain glass without any attempt at restoration” beyond showing the probable outline of the parts of the figures lost, in lead. The good offect of

.this very judicious treatment is the more apparent in comparison with the great west window, which some time ago was restored

_on the principle then prevalent of endeavouring to replace the old glass with new, the result being a singularly disastrous effect.!

. On the architecture of the Church itself a paper was read by Mr. F. W. Watter, under whose careful superintendence the late works

1In reference to coloured glass a very interesting point was mentioned by a Member of the Gloucestershire Society, Mz. F. F. Tucxert, F.R.G.S., who has : paid much attention to the matter, viz., that one infallible way of distinguishing ancient from modern glass is by the fact that when the sun shines on odd glass it transmits xo colowr to the walls or other objects on which the sunbeams fall, whereas when it shines on zew glass the colours are transmitted. Mr. Tuckett, in a short paper he has written on the subject for the Clifton Antiquarian Club (December, 1887), asserts that he has tried the experiment at Fairford itself, at Chartres, at Oxford, Lichfield, Bristol, &c., always with the same result, and that although the fact is by no means generally known, he is fully confirmed in his statement by others who have specially studied the finest specimens of old glass at Chartres and elsewhere. He attributes this fact not so much to any ‘inherent difference between the make of the old glass and the modern—though the more ancient glass was certainly less clear than the modern—but to the fact that glass when exposed to the atmosphere undergoes a slow but certain de- composition on its outer side, the effect of which is to render it impervious to the ‘sun’s rays so far as the transmission of colour is concerned, even though the colours of the glass itself may appear as brilliant as ever to the eye.

12 The Thirty-Ninth Generak Meeting.

of repair have been carried out—and, though the windows are the chief point of attraction, yet there is much in the fabric that merits attention also. The present building was dedicated in 1493, though there are some small remains visible of an earlier building of the thirteenth or fourteenth century. Mr. Watter called attention especially to the richly-carved screens with their delicate cresting, the handsome roofs, the good work of the stalls, and the very picturesque tomb of the founder.

After luncheon, to which nearly one hundred members of the party sat down, a start was made for Kempsford—Mr. Wa ier again acting as cicerone to the very interesting Church, with its Norman nave, and fine central tower and chancel. Here, in addition to many other points of interest, an excellent opportunity was afforded of comparing the very good modern glass with the fine examples of sixteenth century work just seen at Fairford, and in the opinion of many, Mr. Kempe’s fine series of windows at Kempsford, of which the Vicar, Canon St. John, is justly proud, did not appear to dis- advantage in the comparison.

Cricklade was the next point made for—the Church of S. Sampson, with its splendid central tower, singularly interesting as being of so late a date, being first visited. Here THz Vicar (the Rev. H. F. Morton) read a short paper from Notes and Queries, by Mr. R. Kinneir, on what the writer regards as a set of four playing cards sculptured amongst a host of other emblems—heraldic, sacred, and nondescript —on the inside walls of the tower; but inasmuch as the club” is plainly a quatrefoil, and the “spade” bears no resemblance to the figure on the card, it seemed to the majority of those present that the erudite and occult meaning sought to be imported into these emblems was somewhat far-fetched.

Mr. Pontrne followed with a description of the architecture, and then the party divided between the Vicarage of S. Sampson and- the Rectory of S. Mary’s, where Mrs. Morton and Mrs. McKayz most kindly provided tea.

St. Mary’s Church and its beautiful cross was then visited; Mr. PonTInG again pointing out its chief features—after which the carriages started for Siddington.

Excursion on Thursday, Auyust 25th. 13

Mr. Bow y’s grounds were first visited to see the newly-discovered Roman inscription—on which he had read a paper the night before —and also a Roman tombstone now preserved there. The very interesting Church was afterwards seen, with its very curious and rich transition Norman chancel arch, its tall tub font with network ornament covering it, and the fine south doorway with its sculptured tympanum and beak head and chevron-ornament round the arch. The sculpture in the tympanum presents a difficulty in the kneeling figure on the right side. The figure opposite is plainly S. Peter receiving the key from the Saviour, and it was suggested that probably the other kneeling figure may be that of the donor or builder of the Church.

Here some ancient glass was exhibited which had once belonged to the Church, but was now lying loose in the house of one of the Churchwardens, and the Rrv. W. Bazety called attention to it and expressed, in the name of the Members of the Gloucestershire Society, the earnest hope that measures would at once be taken to have it re-inserted in the windows. This ended the programme for the day, and the carriages brought the party back to Cirencester by 7.30, after an excursion which a fine bright day without dust, for the rain the day before had laid it, and the country looking its best, combined with the places visited to render very delightful to those who took part in it.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 25rtz.

For this day two excursions had been arranged, which were open to Members of either Society—the larger number of the Gloucester- Members going by train to Marlborough, and driving thence to Silbury and Avebury, whilst the smaller party, consisting mostly of our Wiltshire Members, numbering twenty-seven, started to visit a series of Churches in the extreme north of Wiltshire which had never been visited by the Society before and could not readily be reached from any centre within the county itself.

Leaving Cirencester at 9.15, the first stoppage was at the charming little hamlet Church of Shorncote, where, as throughout the da”, = Mr. Pontine acted as the Society’s architectural guide.

14 The Thirty-Ninth General Meeting.

Somerford Keynes, a much-scraped and restored Church, but retaining a most interesting bit of Saxon work in its north door, came next, and here, by the kindness of Tor Rector (the Rev. C. W. Faussett), the party was shown over the fine old manor- house adjoining the churchyard, still retaining two rich Jacobean mantelpieces of circa 1600—the one downstairs showing the arms of Strange impaling those of Hungerford.

The fine Church of Ashton Keynes was next on the programme, with its remarkable Norman font, Norman chancel arch (enlarged recently), reredos over the arch of the north aisle, and other points of interest. Having seen this the party adjourned to the vicarage, where the Rev. M. J. Mituine had most kindly arranged his very large and valuable collection of Battersea enamels for their inspection, as well as much good china, and many other things of interest. Lunch at the inn followed, and then a move was made for Minety Church, chiefly interesting for its good wood-work, late fifteenth century screens, and Jacobean pulpit and reading-desk. Here the Rev. J. Merranp Hatt read some notes on the architecture written by Sir Stephen Glynne, Bart., in 1858, and Tux Vicar (the Rev. W. Butt) contended that neither the chancel screen nor the pulpit belonged originally to this Church, as he said the initials on the panels of the later did not correspond with those of any Minety churchwardens.

To those Members whose tastes extended to flowers and gardening a great treat was afforded by the rich herbaceous garden belonging to the Vicar, adjoining the churchyard. There was, however, no time to see half the excellent things it contained, for half-an-hour might have been well spent where only five minutes were available.

Oaksey Church, with its curious clerestory windows, without a north aisle, and Kemble Church, with its good thirteenth century features (replaced carefully when the Church was re-built some years ago), were the last items on the programme, and after tea— most kindly offered to the party at the Manor House by Lavy Cuartorre BripputpH—the Excursions of